Oia is a small town and former community in the South Aegean on the islands of Santorini in the Cyclades, Greece. Since the 2011 local government reform it has been part of the municipality of Santorini.
Oia reached the peak of prosperity in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Its economic prosperity was based on its merchant fleet, which plied trade in the Eastern Mediterranean, especially from Alexandria to Russia. The two-story captains’ houses built on the highest part of the village are a reminder of the village’s former affluence. Part of the town was destroyed by the 1956 earthquake.
The grand sea captain’s houses through the 1800s jump out in Oia this can location and architecture. Two prime examples are located nearby each other. Directly on the caldera using a panoramic view position only a sea captain could select, will be the two storey Venetian Renaissance inspired 1864 Mansion. Originally built through the Sigouras Sarris family in 1864, it turned out converted in 2002 to some private luxury hotel “1864 The Ocean Captain’s House & Spa”. The initial features were maintained and guests all seem like the captain of the property. An additional example is situated on the main village pathway and it was renovated in 1986 by the architect Loannis Zaggelidis to the restaurant “Oia 1800”. The architecture of all of the Oia sea captain’s mansions is distinctive with high vaulted ceilings, exteriors of hand carved volcanic stone blended with marble, imported wood planked floors, flat terraced rooftops rather than the arched roofs in the cave homes and so are always situated in the very best locations.